Friday 21 March 2008

Challenge 7 - Got there at last!!!

Ok, I'll put my hand up, I'm the one that delayed this challenge for so long!

Lesley had her softie made and delivered to its recipient on time (a rather long time ago)

Whereas I have been piffling and pootling and faffing and pithering with a splash of bimbling thrown in for good measure (thanks for such great words Lesley!)

It's not that I haven't been productive - I have, honestly, just not on this project.

I cut it out and stitched the body weeks ago.....................

(time passes)


Then I started turning the limbs.......................


(time passes again)


Then I started stuffing the limbs and body.................................


(more time passes)


Then I turned a couple more limbs

(even more time passes)


Then I cut out the dress (from my very gorgeous Greengate napkin) ..........................

(half a day passes)


Until, finally, I actually sat myself down, detached myself from my knitting needles, untangled myself from the wool and gave myself a good talking to.

Then I plugged the iron and the sewing machine and got to work.

And hey presto, several hours later - look who's here


My very own "Floss" from this pattern.

I'm so pleased I have finished her.

And I'm very impressed with how patient and tolerant Lesley has been for waiting all this time for me to get my act together!

Thanks Lucy!


Well, I decided to make a Magoo monkey from this Melly & Me pattern for my nephew's 2nd birthday on (ahem) 2nd March!


I was very strong minded and made him out of fabric from my stash as I really couldn't justify buying even more!!


The pattern and instructions were so well laid out and so clear to follow that he was a delight to make. He's also rather huge!!




He seemed to go down ok with the birthday boy - I'd have appreciated a little more enthusiasm from his mother but she struggles to get the whole hand made thing - I get the impression she thinks I'm being cheap!!



I have three more patterns from Melly & Me's range that I want to make but then I also have several long lists of things I need to, want to, have to make so I'm not making myself any promises!!!


So although this one has been a long time coming we hope you like our finished goodies and that they were worth the wait!


Now we'd better have a staff meeting to decide what Challenge 8 will involve.


See you soon and have a very Happy Easter!


Lucy and Lesley xx

23 comments:

trash said...

sisters-in-law! Speaking on behalf of the bloggy world 0- we love him and appreciate the effort that went into every stitch, not to mention the effort and willpower involved in working from stash!

great job once again ladies.

Gina said...

Both soft toys are absolutely beautiful. As for your Sister in law Lesley... well trashalou has said it all! S-I-L obviously doesn't have a clue!
My ex M-I-L once told me a quiche I'd lovingly made for her lunch "tasted as good as shop bought" and didn't understand why I took this to be a huge insult!

Looking forward to seeing the next challenge!

Gina xx

dottycookie said...

They are so lovely! I must buy some Melly and Me patterns for myself, I think - I am particularly keen on the little buggy ones with babies that come too.

And though it's no comfort to you, it is a relief to know other people have relatives who don't 'get' handmade. We are having an extended family weekend this weekend - give me strength ...

Kitty said...

They are both lovely ... well done you two. I have some Melly & Me patterns somewhere (any idea where? Anyone?) and should really have a bash at them sometime.

I too have known people who don't 'get' handmade. But I'm lucky enough to know some who do - so I guess it balances out.

x

Anonymous said...

love the rabbit and the monkey, some people just don't 'get' handmade but I do and I would be chuffed to receive such lovely gifts. well done.x

Kaz said...

Both of them are gorgeous, I'd appreciate some tips (perhaps a mini tutorial) on turning thin limbs the right way as I struggled with the panda!

I feel I'm being cheap with handmade stuff, but it's fellow bloggers who see the effort and love that goes into every project. So let's carry on and stuff 'em (and the toys)!

Kaz xx

Jodie said...

Gorgeous, Yes I get that "cheap" thing sometimes too and it can be a bit of a pain. I used to fluster about and explain...now I just give it with a little flyer that I made up about handmadeness.
ooohh that makes me sound a bit strange doesn't it.

Unknown said...

wow wow wow - love them both!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, have had a trip to the moon and back while waiting for this effort. Ha Ha!

Well, in 20 years time or even 40 years time I bet this will be the toy he will still have and it will still be very much loved and cherished.

Love them both,

Your big sis

Ally x

Ally Jay said...

Well I would have been delighted to receive either as a gift for any of my children, Oh heck even for me, in fact especially for me. They are both delightful. Well done.

Jane said...

Bunny and Magoo are beautiful and i'm glad Lesley that your nephew appreciated your hard work - thats what matters most. Bunny's apron looks very familiar, i wish i'd bought some napkins now:-) Jane x

melissa said...

What adorable little softies!

Unknown said...

Brilliant, wonderful, cute and so scrummy, I just want to cuddle them all up!!

Unknown said...

I love the rabbit - and thank you so much for introducing me to the pattern!

Unknown said...

I forgot to mention that the monkey is very handsome too ..... sorry I got carried away thinking about bunnies ...

Unknown said...

Cute dolls. They are both adorable.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff.
I just found your blog and love it.
Look forward to reading more.
I love it!!!! Thank you very much!

Ellieboo said...

Love your Magoo - I am in the process of making two Magoo's as I type. I actually have got stuck so am going to be a "cheeky monkey" and ask you. It says sew the legs into the body - being relatively new to sewing Im not sure exactly how I should do this. No worries if you cant help but, I just stumbled across your Magoo and thought I would ask.
Thank you, Amanda
ellieboo296@gmail.com

Tracey said...

Soo cute!

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

that monkey is adorable!!!

Margaret said...

Just love that Monkey

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

They are so very very cute!
I love the fabric on the monkey, really screams BOY
Keep on creating

Ana said...

Hello! Just found your blog and loved the softies challenge. Both are adorable and it really let the little sewing bug back to me again! Will give it a try and then share. Thank you for the delicious reading, xo